Gathering Place: Castle and the Eye of York Area
Launch Weekend with My Castle Gateway – 6th and 7th July
Walks and Workshop
Meet outside the Castle Museum entrance
Saturday 10am [Book Your Place] / Saturday 11.30am [Book Your Place] / Saturday 1pm Accessible walk, flat access only and pace set by group [Book Your Place] / Saturday 3pm [Book Your Place]
Sunday 10am [Book Your Place] / Sunday 11.30am [Book Your Place] / Sunday 1pm Accessible walk, flat access only and pace set by group [Book Your Place] / Sunday 3pm [Book Your Place]
A place to gather: for events, to protest and to spend time
A gathering of layers of history: bringing to life castles, elections, prisons, courts and protests
A gathering of ideas: of what we want the area to be like in the future
Gathering Place is a strand of the My Castle Gateway project. Through a series of different events, conversations and art works, Gathering Place will explore the Castle and Eye of York area and what we want the area to be like when it is no longer defined by the car park.
Over this summer My Castle Gateway will be working with any and all interested to refine the open brief for the new public area and to look in more detail at how we create new spaces and new routes which connect Clifford’s Tower, the Eye of York, Tower Gardens and the Castle Museum.
To launch a summer of activities join us for focused walks and discussions of the area. We’ll be building upon the original My Castle Gateway Open Brief and masterplan ideas and developing detailed proposals for how the spaces can enable the different activities you said you wanted. We’ll consider the challenges of making room for everything from concerts to quiet contemplation. There will be structured walks around the area, each followed by a workshop hosted in the Castle Museum. Refreshments provided!
We’ll be exploring:-
- Uses and activities: Understanding different uses and activities and how they might work with each other.
- Enclosure and openness: Identifying how different types of spaces and landscape features enable different activities.
- Day and night, and all year round: Considering how openness, materials and shelter need to be considered to make the spaces work all the time.
- Movement and meaning: Seeking strong intersections between movement to and through the area and the interpretation of the area’s heritage
- Money, belonging and ownership: Looking at how much it will cost to make the new area, who might make money from it and how all of that can be related to a key point from the My Castle Gateway Open Brief, which was for the new area to be a part of York where you can ‘spend time without spending money’.
Accessibility and what to wear! All walks apart from the 1pm walk on both days will include steps and difficult paths. Wear the right shoes! The 1pm walks on both days will be flat access and at a pace set up the group.
1 thought on “Gathering Place Launch Weekend: Castle and the Eye of York Area”
I am sorry didn’t know about this can’t come wish l could next time